Our wonderful body
Lets brush up on the basics first. The class 1 lessons will give a nice overview of our body.
Type of organs
External organs :
Parts of our body that we can see.
Head, skin, arms, legs, eyes , ears , nose , tongue etc
Skin in the biggest organ of our body
Sense organs are also external organs and they comprise of Nose (smell), Eyes(sight), Ears (hearing),
Tongue (taste), Skin (touch)
Internal organs :
Parts that are inside our body
Brain, heart, lungs, stomach etc
Brain : Helps us to think and controls our body
Heart : Pumps blood to all parts of the body
Lungs : Helps us to breathe in oxygen
Stomach : Digests the food that we eat
Humans have five vital organs that are essential for survival. These are the brain, heart, kidneys, liver and lungs
How we move ?
Bones give support and shape to our body
Bones join together and form a framework called skeleton
It is a framework which bends around the joints.
The skeleton protects our vital organs.
Skull protects our brain
Ribcage protects our lungs and heart
Lower part of the ribcage protects our stomach, liver etc
At birth we have 305 bones
An adult has 206 bones
Muscles help our bones to move. These are soft and lie under our skin
They join the bones and help them to move
We have around 640 skeletal muscles
Muscles are made of proteins. Protein rich food like eggs, sprouts etc help us in building healthy muscles.
We have 3 types of muscles in our body: skeletal, visceral, and cardiac
- Skeletal muscles consist of striped or striated fibers.
- They move the various parts of the body.
- Skeletal muscles are considered “voluntary” muscles because the person controls their use.
- Visceral muscles are also called smooth muscles.
- These muscles are found in the stomach and intestinal walls, vein and artery walls, and in various internal organs.
- They are called “involuntary” because they cannot be made to work by conscious choice, but are controlled by the autonomic nervous system.
- Found in the heart
- These muscles contain both striped and smooth tissue, are involuntary.